Admissions for Year 7 in 2018
We have 180 places available in year 7 each year. Parents are strongly advised to take advice from their child’s primary school about the process for transfer into a secondary school. Broadly speaking the process for Year 7 admissions for 2018 is:
- Refer to Southwark’s Secondary Schools booklet (for Southwark residents)
- Visit the schools you are interested in (September and October 2017
- Fill in the Common Application Form. This should be done online in the first half of the Autumn term 2017
- Parents will be notified of their school allocation early in March 2018
Please note that Walworth has no supplementary forms and co-operates with the London-wide secondary schools admission process.
See the box above or click here for Open Day events at Walworth Academy.
Admission to other year groups
Which school year would my child be in?
Current Year 7, - for children who will become 12 on or before 31st August 2018
Current Year 8, - for children who will become 13 on or before 31st August 2018
Current Year 9, - for children who will become 14 on or before 31st August 2018
Current Year 10, - for children who will become 15 on or before 31st August 2018
Current Year 11, - for children who will become 16 on or before 31st August 2018
My child has just come to UK from abroad and lives in Southwark. OR
My child has just moved to Southwark, and their last school was outside Southwark.
You need to register with Southwark Local Authority. This is done by filling in the In Year Admissions Form. It is available online at https://www.southwark.gov.uk/downloads/download/2935/in_year_application... . You can get to this site by googling “In year admissions Southwark”. It must be returned to the Local Authority, the address is on the fourth side of the form, at the bottom. Southwark then notify us of any applications.
My child is currently at a Southwark secondary school and I want him/her to transfer to Walworth Academy.
You use the same form as mentioned above https://www.southwark.gov.uk/downloads/download/2935/in_year_application... . You can get to this site by googling “In year admissions southwark”. However, two things are different from above:
You must obtain your child’s current headteacher’s signature on the form.
You must return it to us at WA, not to the Local Authority.
Please note that the agreement of your current headteacher to the transfer does NOT mean that your child will be admitted to WA. We have to treat every application according to our published criteria – so do not give up the place your child currently has in the hope or expectation that we (or any other school) will automatically be able to admit your child.
If you would like to find out more about the school, or have any late admissions queries please contact us at email@example.com or speak in person to Mr Richard Philpot on 020 7450 9570.
Current Over-subscription Criteria for entry to Walworth Academy
Our current over-subscription policy is as follows:
- Priority is given to students with statements of special educational needs. The remaining places are then offered in the following order of priority:
- Looked After Children and all previously Looked After Children;
- Children of staff at the school where there is a demonstrable skill shortage;
- Children who have a sibling who already attends the school and who will continue to do so on the date of admission (for this purpose “sibling” means a whole, half or step-brother or step-sister or an adopted child resident at the same address);
- Other children of staff at the school where there is no demonstrable skills shortage;
- Children who live closest to the school using a straight line distance from the main entrance of the academy to the main entrance to the child’s home.
Ark Network Appeals Procedure
The appeal system is run by an external agency engaged by ARK Schools. Further information will be posted in due course.
This page was last updated on 1st September, 2017.