Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)
At Walworth Academy, we support inclusive education. We believe that comprehensive education should cater for the full range of needs and welcome moves to give students with special needs full access to the curriculum. Our objectives are:
• To make special needs identification, assessment and provision the responsibility of all members of staff.
• To ensure SEND Students move from dependency to independence.
• To recognise the spectrum of need within the school and that it must be met on an individual basis (differentiation).
• To ensure that all students are engaged in learning activities appropriate to their abilities.
• To develop the curriculum in order to ensure access for students with special needs as well as enhanced learning opportunities for all students.
• To ensure that systems are in place to monitor the individual learning needs of all students and meet their needs accordingly.
• To recognise the achievements of students with special needs and so build their self-esteem and status among their peers.
• To encourage students to monitor and take responsibility for their own learning and behaviour.
• To develop a proactive approach to special needs which build on students’ strengths: a Can Do ethos.
• To encourage cross-curricular links in order to develop the curricula and better meet the needs of individuals (Differentiation).
• To forge and maintain inclusive relationships with parents and carers.
• To narrow the gap between students with different types of SEND and their peers.
Our SEND contact is Ms Margie Porthouse - firstname.lastname@example.org