Admissions for Year 7 in 2019
We have 180 places available in year 7 each year. Parents are strongly advised to take advice from their child’s primary school about the process for transfer into a secondary school. Broadly speaking the process for Year 7 admissions for 2019 is:
- Refer to Southwark’s Secondary Schools booklet (for Southwark residents).
- Visit the schools you are interested in (September and October 2018)
- Fill in the Common Application Form. This should be done online in the first half of the Autumn term 2018.
- Parents will be notified of their school allocation early in March 2019.
Please note that Walworth has no supplementary forms and co-operates with the London-wide secondary schools admission process
See the box above or click here for Open Day events at Walworth Academy.
Admission to other year groups
Which school year would my child be in?
Current Year 7, - for children who will become 12 on or before 31st August 2019
Current Year 8, - for children who will become 13 on or before 31st August 2019
Current Year 9, - for children who will become 14 on or before 31st August 2019
Current Year 10, - for children who will become 15 on or before 31st August 2019
Current Year 11, - for children who will become 16 on or before 31st August 2019
If your child has just come to UK from abroad and lives in Southwark.
OR Your child has just moved to Southwark, and their last school was outside Southwark, then it is vital that your register your child with Southwark Admissions.
Please go to https://www.southwark.gov.uk/schools-and-education/school-admissions/in-year-admissions?chapter=2 to see information about the admissions process and access to the forms that you need to use.
If you would like to find out more about the Academy, or have any late admissions queries please contact us at email@example.com or speak in person to Mr Richard Philpot on 020 7450 9570.
My child is currently at a Southwark secondary school and I want him/her to transfer to Walworth Academy.
You use the same form as mentioned above https://www.southwark.gov.uk/schools-and-education/school-admissions/in-year-admissions?chapter=2 You can get to this site by googling “In year admissions southwark”. However, two things are different from above:
You must obtain your child’s current headteacher’s signature on the form.
You must return it to us at WA, not to the Local Authority.
Please note that the agreement of your current headteacher to the transfer does NOT mean that your child will be admitted to WA. We have to treat every application according to our published criteria – so do not give up the place your child currently has in the hope or expectation that we (or any other school) will automatically be able to admit your child.
If you would like to find out more about the school, or have any late admissions queries please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or speak in person to Mr Richard Philpot on 020 7450 9570.
Current Over-subscription Criteria for entry to Walworth Academy
Our current over-subscription policy is as follows:
- Priority is given to students with statements of special educational needs. The remaining places are then offered in the following order of priority:
- Looked After Children and all previously Looked After Children;
- Children of staff at the school where there is a demonstrable skill shortage;
- Children who have a sibling who already attends the school and who will continue to do so on the date of admission (for this purpose “sibling” means a whole, half or step-brother or step-sister or an adopted child resident at the same address);
- Other children of staff at the school where there is no demonstrable skills shortage;
- Children who live closest to the school using a straight line distance from the main entrance of the academy to the main entrance to the child’s home.
Ark Schools Appeals Timetable
Appeals for children refused a place at a preferred school for admission to Year 7 in September will be heard in line with the School Admissions Appeals Code (2012).
|Offer Date||Deadline for lodging an appeal|
‘On-time’ appeals will be heard within 40 school days of the deadline for lodging appeals. Appeals lodged after these dates will be heard within 40 school days of the appeal deadline or 30 school days of being lodged, whichever is the later date.
Mid-year appeals must be heard within 30 school days of receipt of the appeal.
Parents/carers will be notified of their appeal date by an external agency engaged by the Ark network.
Any additional evidence parents/carers wish to submit in support of their appeal must be sent to the external agency at least 5 working days before the hearing. Any evidence not submitted by this deadline may not be considered by the independent appeal panel.
If you wish to appeal for a place in year 7, please click here for the secondary appeal form.This page was last updated September 2018.